Monday 20 August 2012

// Readers Music: AJ Nutter (USA)

I have recently been approached by AJ Nutter, a fellow reader of this blog to listen to some of his musi. I am all too happy to listen to fellow readers music, I listen to many different artists and have an understanding for quite a range of experimental musical styles, so if you feel like sending some of your own works for me to listen to, review and blog about then please feel free to contact me via dropping me a comment on this post.

Firstly I must admit that reading about AJ Nutter's music on various sites I was set to be readily disappointed. I have known someone take the same approach before (to score a soundtrack for a silent film or one without an original soundtrack) which worked quite well but, considering I have never seen the Hitchcock "classic" The Birds, I wasent really sure what I was going to be listening to.

On first listen it sounds familiar, like a soundtrack to a dream. The Birds probably works best along side its inspirational material, but as a one off album that is listened to from start to finish, it is an interesting blend of genres and sounds. Classical string sections interweave with house drumbeats and in other tracks long droning synths can be contrasted against strange ambient effects that weave in and out of the fabric of the track.

The Birds is a very haunting soundtrack written by a very accomplished musician, highlights being tracks such as Sea Crisp Theme 3 and Wings of Design which have the same fundamental themes at their core but work with it in differing manners creating dark atmospheric audio pictures.

Listening to other works on his Soundcloud page, I would recommend further experimentation with glitch into his string sections as the tracks with glitch in are very interesting, but overall a very pleasing album. 

A minor issue I did have was that a couple of the tracks seemed to finish before they got going or just stopped altogether. Maybe this was an issue with making the mp3 tracks or maybe it was done to fit the film I dont know, but if you listen to works by Hans Zimmer etc, the tracks are written as a whole, then edited down for the scenes. Maybe this is an idea to carry into the next album.

A good album with plenty of good ideas. If you wish to purchase the album, the mp3's are available through a large selection of online retailers.

Visit Link 1: http://www.last.fm/music/Aj+Nutter
Visit Link 2: http://soundcloud.com/aj-nutter

No comments:

Post a Comment